The following are some of the WAEC past questions confusing the candidates in English Grammar. If you want to read more about how the answers are chosen, read the book ‘English Grammar: Part of Speech and Their Usage by Deola Adelakun
1. My _______ to you, students, is to be good.
2. You are not allowed to carry _______ on this flight.
(a) much luggage
(b) many luggages
(c)pieces of luggage
(d) more luggages.
3. It is no longer easy for graduates to secure __________
(a) many employments
(d) an employment
4. The boy needs a broad piece of paper and __________ to practice his drawing.
(c) some crayon
(d) much crayons
5. The policeman has gathered ______ to complete the investigation.
(a) many informations
(c) a few informations
(d) an information
6. The principal has already summoned all the _______ on the matter.
(a) head of the department
(b) heads of departments
(c) head of departments
(d) heads of department
7. In my country, there are good standard _______ for sports.
8. I want to know your religious ___________
9. Mallam Gana owns many _________ on his form.
(a) herds of cattle
(b) head of cattle
(c) heads of cattles
10. A _________ of robbers came to our area yesterday
11. Mr Ade teaches at the ___________
(a) ebenezer baptist high school
(b) ebenezer Baptist high school
(c) Ebenezer Baptist High School
(d) Ebenezer Baptist high school
12. My heart thrills with ________
(a) a joy
(c) the joy
(d) some joys
13. Bola cooks food very well. So, she is ________
(a) a cooker
(b) a cook
(d) the cooks
14. __________ all the contestants, the judges then announced the winner.
(a) to see
(c) having seen
15. _______ breakfast is not good for children.
(a) to have skipped
(d) to have been skipping
16. The dog wags _________ tail.
17. The girl ________ parents have left for England won a prize.
18. This is the man _______ stole my bicycle
18. I don’t know what to do with these children. They are always fighting
(c) one another
(d) each other
20. Ranti: This is not my key Ayo, then _________ is it?
(a) of which
21. Adams is a very good friend on __________I can rely
22. _________ is the owner of this pair of scissors?
23. _________ are my books.
24. They wrote _________ note yesterday
25. The chairman _________ did not come for the meeting.
26. Do you notice John and Comfort glancing at _________?
(a) the other
(b) each other
27. They were warned, so they have _______ to blame for the problems they are now facing.
(d) their ownselves
28. The two cats are so similar that I cannot tell whether that one is __________
(a) yourself or myself
(b) my or you
(c) your’s or my
(d) yours or mine
29. __________ were sent to the library by the English teacher.
(a) Udoh and I
(b) Udoh and me
(c) myself and Udoh
(d) I and Udoh
30. Tunji divided the money between David and ________
31. He acts as if he _________ a general manager.
(b) has been
(c) is being
(d) is been
32. Mr Nwokolo had _______ her breakfast before her friend came in
(d) been had
33. By 11 a.m., I _______ writing for 2 hours.
(a) will have been
(b) have been
(c) will be
34. Having worked all day, it is about time we ________ back home
35. Eze has not heard from his Sister Ada since she ________ to the United Kingdom
(a) has gone
(c) had gone
(d) had been going
36. The suspect ________ when I entered the office.
(a) has been questioned
(b) was being questioned
(c) have been questioned
(d) is being questioned
37. The president’s speech __________ at 7 p.m. yesterday
(a) is broadcasted
(b) has been broadcast
(c) was broadcast
(d) was broadcasted
38. Ameh _____ to school nowadays
39. He _________ say it to my face that I did that
(a) dares not
(b) not dare
(c) dare not
(d) dared not
40. ________ to bring a letter of authority before he can collect the money?
(a) needs he
(b) he needs
(c) does he need
(d) need he
41. Surely, he _______ come in person if he doesn’t want to!
(a) does not need
(b) did not need
(c) need to
(d) need not
42. The messenger _________ home until his boss leaves.
(a) dare not went
(b) dare not to go
(c) dare not going
(d) dare not go
43. Have you any objection _________ him to launch?
(a) to invited
(b) with inviting
(c) for inviting
(d) to inviting
44. Dupe ___________ to have spoken so rudely to her mother.
45. Perhaps what Ade told us __________ true after all.
(a) must not be
(b) shall not be (
c) may not be
(d) should not be
46. Ogugua has always ________ me as a good-mannered child.
47. She doesn’t not remember ever _________ a tiger
(a) to see
(c) to have seen
(d) having to use
48. I am accustomed ___________ on an empty stomach.
(a) for sleeping
(b) to sleeping
(c) to have slept
(d) to sleep
49. The maid denied __________ her mistress money.
(b) to stealing
(d) have to stolen
50. Yesterday, I ___________ on the beach for half an hour.
51. I have __________ waiting.
(a) to be kept
(b) been kept
(c) being kept
(d) to have been kept
52. I have never _______ humiliated in my life
(a) so being
(b) been so
(c) being so
(d) so been
53. I look forward to ____________ you next week
(c) be seeing
54. I saw him ___________ the fence
(b) to jump
(c) to have jumped
(d) to be jumping
55. Bisi makes me _________ my money lavishly.
(b) to be speaking
(c) to spend
1. A 2. A 3. C 4. C 5. B 6. D 7. D 8. A 9. A 10. C 11. C 12. B 13. B 14. D 15. C 16. A 17. A 18. B 19. C 20. C 21. D 22. D 23. C 24. B 25. A 26. B 27. C 28. D 29. A 30. D 31. A 32. A 33. A 34. B 35. B 36. B 37. C 38. C 39. C 40. D 41. D 42. D 43. D 44. C 45. C 46. B 47. B 48. B 49. A 50. A 51. C 52. B 53. D 54. A 55. A